Sunday, September 22, 2019

Media Arts Skill Sets

Video tools I am proficient in:

  • Windows Movie Maker
    • I am a creature of habit, and so have not really changed my video editing software since middle school. Though to be honest, I haven’t done any projects that needed more advanced editing, so I suppose it’s fair to say I have only very basic video editing skills. 


Image Manipulation Tools:

  • GIMP
    • I have used GNU Image Manipulation Program (or GIMP) for several years for personal projects,  though mostly geared towards drawing. It is no longer my go-to, but I’m still pretty handy with it. 
  • Procreate
    • An image manipulation program available only for iPad that I have been using for about a year to create images, such as the one below I finished recently, shown here as a time-lapse video. (It's tilted sideways due to the way the program exports time-lapse videos.)



Word Processors:

  • Open Office
    • While I am also proficient in Word, I use Open Office at home. I know how to set up templates, page and paragraph formatting, etc; I have done so in the past to format my self-published books (shown below). 
  • YouMeScript
    • An online script formatted word processor I have used for a few personal projects and allows exports to PDF. 
  • Google Docs
    • I use mainly Google Documents for writing, since it allows me to write from anywhere I have access to the internet. It also makes for easier collaboration in real-time.




Acting:

  • ASAP Acting
    • I went through a two-month course by a nonprofit organization known as the Armed Services Arts Program (ASAP), which offers free classes to veterans and their dependents. I was also in a few musicals in high school, though only as ensemble.   




Since I would like to make an interactive video, I would love to collaborate with anyone more experienced with video editing or anyone with skills in music creation. My strongest skill is definitely my writing, and I plan to act as the “narrator”, so I suppose I will be relying on my acting skills.

I am creating an informational video about Celtic Druidism, but to make the project a little more fun, I plan to write the script in the style of Corey O’Brien’s Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes, which retells ancient mythology (of many cultures) using modern-day slang in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment